One of the things that you need to do to conquer your finances is to make sure that your income is sufficient for your needs and lifestyle. Sometimes you have to think outside the box and come up with some creative ways to making money. We will be looking at some of those here. Not everything will be right for you but you may find some things here that will get you to thinking of something that just may be the right fit.
There are many different reasons for which you may need to look for additional income. You may have a job lay off due to downsizing or corporate restructuring. You may need a completely new career. You may have your hours reduced and simply need some additional income.
You may also develop a disability which prevents you from doing the things that you did before. You may need to stay at home to take care of a loved one. You may just need a change. Whatever your reason, if you want to increase your current income or develop a new career there are a number of real and legitimate things that you can do… and many of them are from home.
Do You Have Hidden Talents?
Finding creative ways to make money may be easier than you think. Do you have some talents or hobbies that you are passionate about? You may have some skills of which you are unaware. Do you quilt, sew, draw, or paint? What about woodwork? Do you have a small woodworking shop? Do you make decorative pieces for your home or yard? Do you write well? Are you into scrapbooking? How about music? If you do any of these, or others not even mentioned here, then you may be able to turn your hobby into some cash.
Many people overlook their hobbies as a source of cash. They usually just think of them as something that they themselves spend money on. Well, if you do, then others do as well. If you are skilled enough then you may think about teaching others how to do the same. Let your community know that you have set aside some time where you will give private or even group lessons.
Some of the things that you may consider, depending upon your skills, are the following:
Alternations – Home Sewing
If you make clothing for yourself or your family, then you may also have the skills to do some alterations at home. Let people in your community know that you are starting a sideline business in your spare time. Also, check with your local dry cleaners to see if they need someone to help with alterations or repairs. In addition to alterations and custom made clothing, there are a number of home sewing projects that potential customers would like to have done. You can make custom drapery or kitchen curtains. You can make table runners and placemats with a holiday theme. You can make chair coverings and throw pillows to change a room’s look. If you are good enough for people to recommend you then you may turn this into a real business from home.
- This can be part-time or full-time work – you can set the hours you choose.
- It is usually easy to find clients if you are good.
- You stand a chance of developing a real business
- You must have good sewing skills and a working knowledge of how garments are made to do this.
- There are costs of materials, supplies and equipment to be considered
- You need a room set aside just for this or it will take over your whole house.
- Be prepared for busy seasons and slow seasons… This business is more in demand just before the holidays, and at prom season.
This is considered a business and you have to check with your local authorities about the requirements for starting a daycare business in your home. You should be certified in CPR and have a home environment that is safe and healthy for children. If you are a parent yourself, then you will know what other parents are looking for in good childcare. Local laws do vary in what you are allowed to do. You may need a license if you have more than just a couple of children. Alternatively, if you are good with children and have a good reputation, consider working in someone else’s home as a Nanny to look after their children while they work.
- If you love children and are good with them then this is something that you may enjoy.
- You may be able to look after your own children along with some others.
- You may be able to start small and develop a good business.
- If you don’t follow the local laws you can get yourself into a lot of trouble.
- You need insurance that will cover costs if a child is injured in your care.
- There is a lot of responsibility in caring for children.
- You will not have any time off unless you are able to arrange for someone else to come in and give qualified care in your absence. The parents must know if someone else is to be there besides you.
House Sitting – Pet Sitting
This would be considered strictly as an informal part-time work within your local community, with your family, friends, and so on. There are a lot of people who want to take off for a weekend or longer who do not wish to leave their homes or pets unattended. This can add to your cash flow but just like part-time babysitting, it would be difficult to have enough work for it to be a business.
- An easy way to earn extra income.
- Can do this while working other jobs or between other jobs.
- Not enough work to be a consistent business.
- You must be good with all kinds of pets.
- You can be held responsible if anything happens to the pet or the house.
- You must know if the homeowner has insurance that would cover you if you were injured while in the home. Some of those pets do bite, and that is not to even mention possible fall hazards.
Start Your Own Business
You could start your own business in; residential or office cleaning, baking – decorating cookies – pies – cakes, organizing (developing systems and procedures for home and office), painting, personal shopping service, handyman work, gardening, landscaping, or misc. yard work – You may even want to start your own greenhouse and sell small plants in the Spring.
- A lot of real businesses started as small sideline businesses such as the ones mentioned above.
- You are your own boss and work whenever you choose.
- Any business like these requires some skill levels and operating costs.
- You need to be organized yourself and self-disciplined in order to succeed.
Selling Your Handicrafts Online
Do you have a stash of decorative items that you have made by hand? Quilts, dolls, stuffed animals, covers for appliances, potholders, placemats, mug rugs, are just a few of the many things that can be made to order. Of course, the quilts take a lot more time and material but if you already have some of your work to show and then sell, it helps a lot. What about those items you made in your woodworking shop? Do you have any other handmade crafts? Think about selling them on Ebay, Etsy, Amazon… Better still, you can create your own exclusive website to show off your talents and make some extra cash.
- If you are a skilled craftsman, then this may be a way to earn from your hobbies.
- You are your own boss and can work whenever you choose.
- Costs for materials and equipment must be considered.
- You must know the rules for selling on third party websites.
- It can be trial and error to learn what will sell and what won’t.
- Costs for training programs can be outrageous.
There are also many other things that you can do from home without having to leave home. Most of these involve either the telephone, the computer, or both.
Customer Service jobs can be done from home using both the computer and a telephone. There are a number of different types of customer service positions that are available at times. Telephone companies will often place ads for these positions. Anything involving technology has to have customer service reps. The main drawback to this is that you are tied to both the phone and the computer for a set number of hours a day. If you are home for a reason such as childcare or elder care then this may not work out for you.
- You get to work from home, allowing customers to contact you and helping them with their issues.
- You receive a fixed pay, as an employee or,
- You receive a fee as an independent contractor, for helping each customer.
- You may be able to set your own hours.
- This kind of work is mainly assigned to a call center that may be owned by the company or contracted to another company for a fee.
- The individuals helping the customers have to be trained with the knowledge of the company’s service or product, as well as how to handle the customers, in order resolve customers’ issues properly.
- You will have to bear the brunt of disgruntled customers when things go wrong or not their way.
- You are still just an employee – with limited income – just from home
- Those work hours once set, mean no time for anything else while “on call”.
The same is true for technical service jobs. If you have the skills to troubleshoot or are willing to go by a predefined script, then this is also an option. However, you are also tied for a set number of hours a day.
This is when a company (or business) gives you a large volume of raw data, which you have to sort out and enter into the company’s specified areas online. You are then compensated for your work from home with a flat fee or a commission, depending on the amount of the data you process.
- You may have a little flexibility in terms of how many hours you want to work to process the data at home.
- You do have the flexibility of processing the data at all hours of the day or night, as long you are given the access to upload your final work to the company’s related computers.
- Most data entry jobs at home require knowledge and experience in the specific field of the data. For example: medical, financial, etc.
- Most companies will not pay for your data entry training, since there are many people out there who have both the knowledge and the experience.
- You have to be a fast and accurate typist to enter the data quickly since there are usually time limits set for the completion of each batch of data to be processed.
- Usually, you are paid a fee on the amount of data you process.
There are people who already have the training to do things like medical transcription and billing. If you are one of them, then you may find work privately and do well. However, be cautious and don’t fall prey to the many scams out there who just want to take your money for the privilege of signing up for courses that teach such things. You can get what you need at your local community college.
You can also make money by creating websites for other people to do “Their Thing” online, which could be for personal or business purposes.
You have to be knowledgeable, with some experience, in this area to create an effective working website. If you are not familiar in this area, then you first have to be trained how to build and maintain a website before you can think of making a business out of it. However, you do not have to go back to college to learn this skill. There are several legitimate places online where you can get this training. The best, of course, is some place where you can get feedback on your efforts and continuing resources to help you learn the technical skills.
- Building a website today is a lot easier than it was when everyone had to learn how to do coding. Content Management Systems like WordPress are becoming the most popular way to build a website. Many things are now automated and anyone can easily learn how to create nice looking and practical websites in a relatively short time.
- Because most people still do not know how to create these sites, this is a skill where you can still be highly paid for your services.
- Learning to create websites enables you to have more options in ways to earn from home online.
- You must have the right training, tools, and support in order to become a capable website builder. Otherwise your sites will look amateurish, will not function properly, and you will not be able to get either good pay or good clients.
Have you ever wanted to be a writer? There are many people earning a good income from home by writing articles on different subjects. Web designers need good content and often don’t have the time to write all the articles that they need. Odesk, FreelanceSwitch, ArticleTeller and eLance are just a few places where you can put those skills to work.
Developing your writing skills can also help you if you choose to start a blog or do some affiliate marketing of your own.
- Although you may have to start small, you can make some good money as you improve your skills as a freelance writer.
- You are your own boss and can choose what assignments to accept or reject.
- You must develop some good skills in order to command top pay.
- Developing these skills may take some time but it is worth it.
- You may think that you can’t write but if you can carry on a conversation then you can write for the web. The more you practice, the better you will get.
Affiliate marketing is the business model that we at Conquer Each New Day have chosen to use for extra income. There are a lot of people online who earn a decent living doing this. The skills mentioned above… building websites and writing are part of what you need to learn to do as well in affiliate marketing. The business community that we are a part of is the place responsible for teaching us the skills we need to build our websites, write content for them and market products and services to our customers.
Affiliate marketing is a good option for those who wish to set their own schedules. With an interesting blog that gets a lot of traffic, you can earn a revenue from either ads placed on that blog or from becoming an affiliate of a merchant and placing affiliate links to that merchant. That is just a very brief explanation of the business model. This is a method of earning income that can be done anywhere there is an internet connection.
Affiliate marketing is a form of marketing that you can feel good about because you are helping people. You help people get the information they need to make informed choices regarding products or services that they are looking for.
- You can work whenever you choose – perfect for busy Moms or caregivers.
- You can work anywhere there is an internet connection. Home is a great place to work.
- You can work at something you love as your marketing can reflect the passions of your hobbies or interests.
- Once you learn the skills, you can earn a very good income.
- You can develop a passive income that continues long after you do the original work.
- You are your own boss. Schedule your vacations and days off when you want them.
- You may retire yourself from your regular job.
- You must get good training from a reputable training source and apply it. Otherwise, you will just waste your time. Reading about theories does not pay you anything.
- Before you can have passive income, you must actually do the work.
- You must resist the urge to buy every shiny object that promises to help you get rich quick. Those are distractions that can take you off course.
- You are your own boss so you must have a good work ethic or nothing will get done.
- That also means you have to set some priorities on how you use your time. Otherwise, if you treat it as a hobby, that is all it will ever be.
In summary, there are many things that you can do if you find yourself either out of work, underemployed or just not happy with what you are doing. It just takes a little creative thought to inventory your own skills to see how you can make use of them. Look deep inside of yourself and determine what you really want to do both short term and long term. Do you already have the skills or do you need some more education or training? Don’t sell yourself short. There is always a way to get the education or training you need.
One thing you might want to consider for your future is to develop those web properties that will bring you passive income long after you have built them. That is what we are working on in affiliate marketing. Once your sites start earning an income, they will be working for you while you are doing something else.
How about you? What are your dreams? Don’t give up on them. Make some short term goals to create the cash flow you need now. Then determine what your long-term goals are for your life. Don’t wait for an opportunity to knock on your door, since that might not happen. There are creative ways to make money without waiting for the “perfect job” to become available. Make the preparations you need to create the career of your dreams. It is the people who just won’t give up when knocked down, who win. They dare to get back up and conquer their foe.
We would love to hear your creative ideas as well. Your comments are always welcome.
Your friends who dare to care,
Jay and Glenda